Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are We He-Man or Not?



This relates somewhat to my last post.

So, I know next to nothing about He-Man. I think his nemesis is called Skeletor. But one thing that I know for sure is that he yells "I HAVE THE POWER!" periodically, though I don't know why.

In general, I kind of feel this way about the internet. I can learn about ANYTHING. If I want to know about iterative and incremental development, Goolge and Wikipedia can tell me. And, even if Google or Wikipedia doesn't have any direct results on what I am looking for, the knowledge can probably be found on the internet somewhere, somehow. When I find something that I'm looking for, I feel like He-Man:



But then I read this article by Orson Scott Card. In it he berates the media for covering up one of Obama's serious mistakes (crimes) until it couldn't affect the vote anymore. He goes on to describe the way that the media is biased towards Obama and so on and so forth; stuff that we've all heard but maybe not as eloquently as Card puts it.

But it made me wonder: are we, despite the internet, still dependent on the biased (in either direction; I'm looking at you, Fox News) media? I think most people acknowledge that we are heavily influenced by the media, but how much are they stunting or unfairly influencing us in important ways? How can we know if/when they are withholding information? How do we combat it? Does it just come down to comparing two or more different sources of differing opinions and weighing them against each other?

The problem with that is that I feel like I'm still not getting the whole picture. It may be that information about Obama's mistake was available through the internet before the general media let it out, but if that's the case how would I have found it? How would I have known to look?

Do we, as internet users, truly have the power to get at all the information that we need?

No comments:

Post a Comment