Monday, December 3, 2012

I Feel Cool.



I guess this is kind of like my pre self-evaluation blog post. Less academic than my real one will be.

I'm feeling pretty cool right now. Why? I figured out how to embed a Prezi on a Google site. Granted, it wasn't all that hard to figure out. All I had to do was Google "How to embed a Prezi," and select the appropriate video. But, before this class, I didn't even know how to create a link on a blog, much less embed something. I don't remember learning it specifically, but I doubt that I even knew what "embed" meant, at least in the context of a website.

After doing this I realized that I really can teach myself almost anything I want by using the internet. Before this class I knew that it was theoretically possible for a person to teach themselves a professional skill via digital media, but now I can see that it is possible for me, Gwendolyn Hammer, to do it. Not only is it possible, but I've already taught myself some small things! I dove it without really realizing what I was doing.

So I'm setting a goal for myself: to continue my New Media related self-directed learning after the semester ends. This way I can learn things that would otherwise require me to do things like talk to people. Ew. So, I would like to:

1. Learn some coding! I plan on doing this through Minecraft, since that will be an interesting way to get started. I will use websites such as this one and videos such as this.

2. Learn how to get going on family history research! I've taken the advice to start with myself and record everything I know, but I'm so scared of doing something wrong that I haven't gone any further.

Who knows? Maybe I'll even keep up this blog =].

No comments:

Post a Comment